AN elderly man was rescued from a house fire in the early hours of this morning.

The man, in a wheelchair, was saved by firefighters from a blaze at Tellis Cross, East Coker, after calls reporting a fire at around 3.30am on Monday (April 22).

A spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: "Two fire appliances from Yeovil were sent to a property with a fire in the bedroom.

"Crews arrived on scene and entered the property with breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet.

"One elderly male was immediately rescued from the property in a wheelchair, and was suffering from smoke inhalation. Ambulance were called to the scene."

He said crews dealt with a small fire in the bedroom, 'involving a towel and carpet'.

"The property was heavily smoke logged, which crews cleared using positive pressure ventilation," he added.

"The cause of the fire was deemed as accidental."