A MAN found driving in Chard with a half empty bottle of Lambrini on the passenger seat has been given a 14 month driving ban after failing a breath test.

Police were on duty in Coker Way in Chard when they saw a vehicle turn around and head back in the same direction, and when they followed it the driver put his foot down.

When they pulled the vehicle over they spoke to the driver, Mariusz Swiadek, and could smell alcohol on his breath and he was arrested after failing the test.

At the police station it was also discovered he had no licence and was not inured to drive the car, Somerset Magistrates were told.

Swiadek, 25, of West Hendford, Yeovil, pleaded guilty to driving a VW Passat on Victoria Avenue in Chard on December 1 last year after consuming excess alcohol.

He also admitted driving without insurance or a licence when he appeared before the court at Yeovil.

Emma Lenanton, prosecuting, said that the defendant was seen by the police driving a car at 1am on Coker Way and he then headed back in the same direction after having turned around.

“When he saw the police he increased his speed so the officers decided to stop him and activated their blue lights,” she said.

“Swiadek briefly continued before stopping and identified himself as the driver and they could smell alcohol when speaking to him.

“They then saw an open bottle of Lambrini on the passenger seat so the defendant handed his keys over and was also found to have an expired provisional licence.”

He told them the car belonged to his parents and he then failed a roadside breath test and later produced a reading of 55mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35mcg of alcohol.

Swiadek told the court that he knew what he did was wrong and had pleaded guilty in court.

“What else can I say? It will never happen again,” he said.

For drink driving the magistrates disqualified the defendant from driving for 14 months and fined him £346.

No separate penalty was imposed for the other two offences but he was also ordered to pay £85 costs and a £34 victim surcharge.