Toolstation First Division
Chard Town 4, Bristol Telephones 2

A HARD-earned victory for Chard Town saw them complete the double over high-flying Bristol Telephones on their first visit to Zembard Lane.

The game was played in poor weather and credit must go to referee Sam Fudge for a good all-round performance together with his assistants and both sides on a day where the wet conditions persisted throughout the game.

The first half saw some early attacking play by Chard with the award of two corners and following a good cross from James Boyland a free-kick was awarded on the edge of the penalty area. 

Ollie Pearson, with a well-directed shot, fired the ball home to put Chard a goal up on 12 minutes. 

Bristol Telephones missed a scoring chance together with a smart save by Chard’s keeper, Jon Hill, on 25 minutes.

Chard continued to threaten the visitors with Max Westlake providing some good through balls together with James Boyland causing problems with his speed down the left flank.

At the other end, Bristol Telephones got in a strike on 38 minutes which was cleared off the line by Hill. 

The first period ended with a Chard chance over the bar and a further shot blocked by visitors' keeper Will Osborne.

The opening minutes of the second half saw a Bristol Telephones chance hit the side of the goalpost and go away with Chard almost immediately on 47 minutes, doubling their lead when a pinpoint cross from Taoufik Ben-Salem found Alex Stafie, who scored from close range. 

Following Telephones' efforts over the bar and a further excellent save by Jon Hill, Chard had the ball in the net on the hour but ruled as offside.

However, following several further chances for both sides, Chard were three goals up on 72 minutes when a further Max Westlake through ball saw James Boyland score with a well-timed shot.

Bristol Telephones got a goal back with a powerful, unstoppable penalty on 81 minutes but, with a late flurry of play in deteriorating ground conditions, Chard made sure of victory with a fourth goal when a good ball from Ben-Salem opened up the visitors' defence for Boyland to add his second goal on with five minutes remaining.

Bristol Telephones did not give up the cause and claimed a second goal two minutes later with a shot into the net off the inside of the post.

The three points took Chard up to 14th with 22 points from 18 games played.

Chard - Jonathan Hill, Ben Haines, Oliver Pearson, Andrew Holmes, Kieran Bailey, Jack Dicker, Max Westlake, Luke Jackson (for Steven Friend 85 mins) Taoufik Ben-Salem, Alexandru Stafie (for Liam Cleal 73), James Boyland (for David Durate 85). Sub (not used) - Patrick Golden.