A CAR engine caught on fire outside a house in Chard. 

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue crews from Chard were called to Thorndun Park Drive around 9.10pm last night (April 12). 

The owner of the car called the fire service after it caught on fire. 

Fire crews confirmed there was a small fire within the engine compartment and extinguished it using a CO2 extinguisher, small tools, and a thermal imaging camera. 

The damage to the car was minimal as it was confined to the engine only. 

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental. 

Once the car was made safe, duty of care was left with the owner.