CHARD Town manager Adam Fricker is hoping the Robins can spice up their season with a decent run in the Les Phillips Cup – starting tonight (Wednesday).

The Robins face tough opposition in the form of Toolstation premier division side Brislington but Fricker reckons the match will hold no fears.

Fricker said: “There will be no pressure because nobody expects us to beat them so we can just go out and give it our best shot.

“We beat another premier division side, Bridport, in the last round, so there’s no reason why we can’t do it again.”

Chard will be missing both Mark Scott, who is cup tied, and Leigh Bailey, who has an injured hamstring, but will welcome back Sam Spurway from suspension.

The Robins follow up tonight’s game with two Toolstation league games in the next seven days. On Saturday they entertain Welton Rovers (3pm) while next Tuesday the visitors are Calne (7.30pm). In their first competitive game for a month Chard Town ran out 3-0 winners with a workmanlike performance against bottom club Portishead Town on Saturday.

Two first half goals and a third early in the second half sealed the victory but Chard would have won by a larger margin except for a good performance by the hosts’ debutant ‘keeper Mitch Fracuz.

The first half saw Chard open the scoring on 16 minutes when a good through ball gave Sam Clark the chance to run on past the defence and score with a well placed shot.

Ten minutes later Mark Armstrong crossed well from the right flank only for Clark to be brought down well inside the box. Clark made no mistake from the spot.

Chard suffered a setback after 40 minutes when Taufik Ben Salem was sent off for a second yellow. He forced the ball home from close range but impeded the defender and handled the ball into the net.

Despite being down to ten men in the second half, Chard pushed forward with the home ‘keeper saving well from Clark.

And a third goal came on 51 minutes when Jamie Underwood was in position to volley the ball home first time from an Andy Martin corner.

Shortly afterwards Bailey, suffering from a hamstring injury, was replaced by Ben Haines while Jamie Barfoot went on for Darren Hutchings who was suffering with a similar problem.

Portishead then produced more attacking play with a free kick well dealt with by the Chard defence and a chance on 70 minutes which went wide of the post.

However Chard, looking to increase their lead, saw the home keeper bring off a good save for a corner from a Clark effort while a powerful shot by Haines found the side netting.

Just on the final whistle a header went just over the bar from Andy Martin.

Fricker said: “It was a good performance after more than a month off and it was nice to hit the ground running again.” Chard: Jason Hutchings, George Chlopecki, Darren Hutchings (for Jamie Barfoot 65mins) Leigh Bailey (for Ben Haines 53mins) Mark Scott, Jamie Underwood, Mark Armstrong, Mike McCormack, Sam Clark (for Adam Fricker 82mins) Taufik Ben Salem, Andy Mar.