CHARD firefighters were called out to Wood Croft Meadows, Bishopswood in the early hours to attend a fire started by a vape machine being left on charge.

Engines from Chard and Ilminster were sent out shortly after 4am this morning (Wednesday, May 3) after the service received a call from a concerned neighbour.

The neighbour said he had heard the smoke detector sounding in the property next door, and having investigated, called 999 after seeing the fire in the kitchen.

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue said: "Upon the arrival of fire crews the fire was found to be out.  The fire had started from a vape machine being left on charge and the fire had been put out by the occupant and neighbour using a dry powder extinguisher.

"The property obtained smoke damage from the fire but luckily further fire spread was prevented due to working fire alarms and the quick thinking of the occupant and the neighbour."