Sex education should be shared, warn Somerset charities

Chard & Ilminster News: Stock photo. Stock photo.

CHARITIES in Somerset say parents and schools need to share the burden of educating children about sex and relationships to avoid abuse.

The Taunton branches of Stand Against Violence and the NSPCC have spoken out as other charities in the UK pushed for compulsory sex education in all schools in parliament this week.

Adam Fouracre, chairman of Stand Against Violence, thinks the bulk of sex education should come from parents, but added: “It would be good to make it compulsory in schools, but any changes would need to complement parental education.”

The NSPCC’s Peta Dyke said PHSE lessons should include life skills, such as decisionmaking, managing peer pressure and understanding risky behaviour.

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:13pm Sat 16 Feb 13

jimeee says...

Its not working is it...there seem to be more unmarried and under-age mothers than ever.
Its not working is it...there seem to be more unmarried and under-age mothers than ever. jimeee

7:07pm Sat 16 Feb 13

windswept and interesting says...

Simpelz - Have babies claim benefit get house !
Simpelz - Have babies claim benefit get house ! windswept and interesting

9:08pm Sat 16 Feb 13

BaldCarl2 says...

windswept and interesting wrote:
Simpelz - Have babies claim benefit get house !
Scrap all benefits.

It might just teach people to stand on their own two feet and look after themselves.
[quote][p][bold]windswept and interesting[/bold] wrote: Simpelz - Have babies claim benefit get house ![/p][/quote]Scrap all benefits. It might just teach people to stand on their own two feet and look after themselves. BaldCarl2

3:18am Sun 17 Feb 13

bts73 says...

Even simpelzer - modern homosapiens can easily survive without having to burden yourself with a relationship - rich people just need to stay rich, poor folk just get some kids and a free house will be coming your way !
Even simpelzer - modern homosapiens can easily survive without having to burden yourself with a relationship - rich people just need to stay rich, poor folk just get some kids and a free house will be coming your way ! bts73

10:49am Sun 17 Feb 13

FreeSpeech? says...

Sex education in schools requires that children are taught being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural and when anyone say different they're labelled homophobes, parents are ostracised if they tell their children anything different than what the PC brigade believe.
Sex education in schools requires that children are taught being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural and when anyone say different they're labelled homophobes, parents are ostracised if they tell their children anything different than what the PC brigade believe. FreeSpeech?

12:07pm Sun 17 Feb 13

utd ian says...

Yes, that is a very good idea isn't it? Take benefits from everyone and then crime will go up 100%! Your a smart one aren't you?
Yes, that is a very good idea isn't it? Take benefits from everyone and then crime will go up 100%! Your a smart one aren't you? utd ian

10:22am Mon 18 Feb 13

windswept and interesting says...

FreeSpeech? wrote:
Sex education in schools requires that children are taught being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural and when anyone say different they're labelled homophobes, parents are ostracised if they tell their children anything different than what the PC brigade believe.
So whats the alternative ? - what should the schools be telling children about homosexuals and lesbians...i'm intrigued ?
[quote][p][bold]FreeSpeech?[/bold] wrote: Sex education in schools requires that children are taught being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural and when anyone say different they're labelled homophobes, parents are ostracised if they tell their children anything different than what the PC brigade believe.[/p][/quote]So whats the alternative ? - what should the schools be telling children about homosexuals and lesbians...i'm intrigued ? windswept and interesting

1:35pm Mon 18 Feb 13

FreeSpeech? says...

windswept and interesting wrote:
FreeSpeech? wrote:
Sex education in schools requires that children are taught being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural and when anyone say different they're labelled homophobes, parents are ostracised if they tell their children anything different than what the PC brigade believe.
So whats the alternative ? - what should the schools be telling children about homosexuals and lesbians...i'm intrigued ?
Stop filling our kids heads full of BS and get back to teaching them the basics, lets start by getting rid of the PC brigade and teach moral values.
[quote][p][bold]windswept and interesting[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FreeSpeech?[/bold] wrote: Sex education in schools requires that children are taught being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural and when anyone say different they're labelled homophobes, parents are ostracised if they tell their children anything different than what the PC brigade believe.[/p][/quote]So whats the alternative ? - what should the schools be telling children about homosexuals and lesbians...i'm intrigued ?[/p][/quote]Stop filling our kids heads full of BS and get back to teaching them the basics, lets start by getting rid of the PC brigade and teach moral values. FreeSpeech?

2:03pm Mon 18 Feb 13

happy_chappie says...

being taught about homosexual or lesbian relationships - cool, no risk of unwanted children then! !
being taught about homosexual or lesbian relationships - cool, no risk of unwanted children then! ! happy_chappie

3:00pm Mon 18 Feb 13

topcataj says...

FreeSpeech? wrote:
windswept and interesting wrote:
FreeSpeech? wrote:
Sex education in schools requires that children are taught being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural and when anyone say different they're labelled homophobes, parents are ostracised if they tell their children anything different than what the PC brigade believe.
So whats the alternative ? - what should the schools be telling children about homosexuals and lesbians...i'm intrigued ?
Stop filling our kids heads full of BS and get back to teaching them the basics, lets start by getting rid of the PC brigade and teach moral values.
So, teaching that "being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural" is BS and against moral values?
[quote][p][bold]FreeSpeech?[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]windswept and interesting[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FreeSpeech?[/bold] wrote: Sex education in schools requires that children are taught being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural and when anyone say different they're labelled homophobes, parents are ostracised if they tell their children anything different than what the PC brigade believe.[/p][/quote]So whats the alternative ? - what should the schools be telling children about homosexuals and lesbians...i'm intrigued ?[/p][/quote]Stop filling our kids heads full of BS and get back to teaching them the basics, lets start by getting rid of the PC brigade and teach moral values.[/p][/quote]So, teaching that "being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural" is BS and against moral values? topcataj

3:23pm Mon 18 Feb 13

FreeSpeech? says...

topcataj wrote:
FreeSpeech? wrote:
windswept and interesting wrote:
FreeSpeech? wrote:
Sex education in schools requires that children are taught being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural and when anyone say different they're labelled homophobes, parents are ostracised if they tell their children anything different than what the PC brigade believe.
So whats the alternative ? - what should the schools be telling children about homosexuals and lesbians...i'm intrigued ?
Stop filling our kids heads full of BS and get back to teaching them the basics, lets start by getting rid of the PC brigade and teach moral values.
So, teaching that "being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural" is BS and against moral values?
My god I do believe you've got it.
[quote][p][bold]topcataj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FreeSpeech?[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]windswept and interesting[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FreeSpeech?[/bold] wrote: Sex education in schools requires that children are taught being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural and when anyone say different they're labelled homophobes, parents are ostracised if they tell their children anything different than what the PC brigade believe.[/p][/quote]So whats the alternative ? - what should the schools be telling children about homosexuals and lesbians...i'm intrigued ?[/p][/quote]Stop filling our kids heads full of BS and get back to teaching them the basics, lets start by getting rid of the PC brigade and teach moral values.[/p][/quote]So, teaching that "being homosexual or lesbian is totally natural" is BS and against moral values?[/p][/quote]My god I do believe you've got it. FreeSpeech?

5:10pm Mon 18 Feb 13

topcataj says...

Then I hope you're never in a position to decide any of that stuff.
Then I hope you're never in a position to decide any of that stuff. topcataj

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree