This live event has finished
- Roads including the A372 and A361 are affected
- Somerset County Council says it has taken special measures to help pupils in worst-hit areas get to and from school
- Send your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet them to @CountyGazette @BWMercury @BHWeeklyNews or @chardandilynews
FOR updates from Tuesday (January 7), click here.
A SPECIALIST rescue team from Bridgwater, along with firefighters from Martock and Yeovil, rescued an elderly couple who were stranded in a car after driving into deep flood water at Muchelney Ham, Langport.
The incident happened at around 2pm today.
Well done to Burnham Area Rescue Boat team for their fantastic work rescuing Anne-Marie Simpson after 13 days stranded in North Curry— @pow_rebecca 06 January 2014
VIEW our photo gallery of the devastating floods by clicking here... and don't forget to send us your pictures.
Affected by the storms? Don't drive if you don't have to. See our bad weather advice: http://t.co/WqTT9jocGR— @Brakecharity 06 January 2014
More rain is forecast for this week. Stay safe. Sign up for free flood warnings: http://t.co/z278UnRu0E #floodaware #UKStorm— @EnvAgency 06 January 2014
THE Environment Agency says the risk of flooding continues this week, with communities in the South-West urged to be particularly vigilant.
Advice on what to do before, during and after flooding is available on the Environment Agency website or by calling Floodline on 0845 9881188.
THE following flood warnings remain in place today:
- Salt Moor and North Moor including East Lyng, Burrowbridge, West Yeo, Moorland and Fordgate
- River Yeo from Yeovil to Langport
- River Parrett (lower) at Langport Westover Trading Estate
- River Parrett (upper) from South Perrott to Thorney
- West Moor, Hay Moor and Curry Moor including New Road between North Curry and the A361, and Cutts Road at East Lyng
- A361 between East Lyng and Burrowbridge including the Somerset Levels Basket and Craft Centre area
A FIRE crew was sent to Nationwide Building Society, in Fore Street, Chard, after floodwater got into the back of the building and affected the electrics.
A fire service spokesman said: "On arrival, crews found a large amount of water at the rear of the premises.
"Crews isolated the water supply and the electrics and made the scene safe from fire."
The call to the fire service came at around 9am today.
SOMERSET County Council says contingency arrangements are being put in place for school pupils in Burrowbridge, Althelney and Muchelney.
For updates click here.
A BARB crewman with Elvis the Yorkshire terrier.
A WOMAN who was stranded in her North Curry home for 13 days was evacuated by boat.
A specialist rescue crew from the Burnham Area Rescue Boat was in the village yesterday, carrying out flood relief training when it checked on the welfare of several residents.
Anne-Marie Simpson asked to be evacuated with her dog, Elvis, a Yorkshire terrier, due to the rising flood waters around her property.
The boat crew fitted Mrs Simpson with a lifejacket and a survival suit before helping her onto the boat.
She was then safely taken half a mile across the flooded fields to dry land. She will be staying with friends.
She said: "I am very grateful to the crew for rescuing us. I had been in the house for 13 days and was keen to get away. The scale of the flooding has taken us by surprise."
BARB operations manager Mike Lowe said: "We were very happy to help this lady and her dog, who had been stuck since before Christmas.
"It was so gratifying to see the look of relief on Anne-Marie's face when we got her back onto dry land."
THE following roads are closed due to flooding:
- The A372 between Load Pool in Othery and Combe Lane in Allery, due to flooding at Severn Bends
- The A361 between Riverside at Burrowbridge and Cuts Road at East Lyng
- The A37 Ilchester Road iin Yeovil is blocked due to flooding between Coombe Street Lane and Thorne Lane